Located in pristine, lush green baradari gardens, in the heart of the Patiala city is the majestic red-tiled and tilted roofed building of the club, Completed in 1890's, it resembles the pavilion of the Oval England, and its exotic architecture is the reflection of the royal grandeur of erstwhile Patiala state.
It was Maharaja Rajindra Singh who was a pioneer among the Indian princes to take on the game of cricket in the right earnest. Although only 14 years of age the young Maharaja showed great zeal and aptitude for it. The Maharaja and his young brother, Raja Ranbir Singh used to take up their position as rival captains on the field, eager to inflict defeat on the other side. After the completion of the cricket pavilion, Maharaja Rajindra Singh established a regular club of Cricket and named it 'Patiala Cricket Club'. Also Squash was among the earliest sports initiated here in the late 19th century..